The Friends of Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden
As a non-profit, volunteer organization, The Friends of Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden was started in the Spring of 2009 to restore and maintain the Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden. Working together with the New Britain Parks and Recreation Department and coordinating volunteer efforts from local residents, community organizations and the University of Connecticut Master Gardener program, our organization’s mission is to connect and unite residents through the therapeutic art and joy of gardening at the Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden, restoring and reviving vital urban green space in New Britain.
The Friends of the Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden’s efforts provide an opportunity for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections and develop a learning environment for children and adults. We work to strengthen the community and continue the revitalization of Downtown New Britain bringing visitors to town and prominence to our City, Walnut Hill Park and the restored Rose Garden. The Friends are currently recruiting community members that would like to play an active volunteer role in the care and management of the Rose Garden.
The City of New Britain owns and maintains Walnut Hill Park and the Friends of Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden helps support the City’s work by funding the restoration and maintenance of the Rose Garden and offering volunteer assistance. Community donations and involvement are the keys to the maintenance and continued success of the Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden. Please support our local project working to improve our community and our home.
The Friends of the Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden thanks the following volunteers and supporters who aided in the restoration and replanting of the Rose Garden in 2010:
- Volunteers: Kate McCue, Michelle Malinowski, Rich Scierka, Stasia Rodriguez, Arlette Coelho and Barbara Regalis
- Timothy T. Stewart, New Britain Mayor 2003-2011
- New Britain Parks and Recreations: Former Director Bill DeMaio; Former Superintendent of Parks, Mike Hadvab; and the Board of Commissioners
- Kaestle Boos Architects, Inc: Landscape Architects Jim Sperry and Brennan White
- Universal Connectivity: James Smith
- UConn Master Gardener Program: Coordinator Sarah Bailey
- Weber & Carrier, LLP: Attorney Michael Carrier
Other Supporters include: